Today’s workout is all about the plank and core work! I didn’t have much time to do an extra full body workout today after teaching and personal training BUT I had just enough time to throw in some plank and core work. And it was a beautiful day so I had to spend as much time as possible outside with my puppy!
If you have a little extra time today and any day you should always try for a little more core work AND plank work. After all, a strong core is the foundation to all movement. Push-ups are by far the best total body exercise so doing a little plank work each and everyday will help you perfect your push-up as well.
For today’s workout let’s use a stop watch and do each exercise for thirty seconds each.
- 4-point Power Plank: Get in your solid plank and engage every part of your body. Pull those abs in super tight and lengthen your spine. Keep your focus forward and shoulders over your hands. Pull each knee side to same elbow, then knees under, then knee to opposite elbow, and then extend each leg up and back. Keep cycling through this for 30 seconds. Rest for 15 seconds before moving onto the next exercise.
- Bicycle abs: Pretty self-explanatory but I am a stickler for a good looking bicycle. Really lift your body and twist trying to bring opposite elbow in contact with knee. Extend your other leg out strong and of course pull your abs in the entire time. Do this for 30 seconds and rest for 15 seconds before moving on to next exercise.
- Push-up step wide: Back in that solid plank, do a perfect push-up and then step your leg out wide aiming towards your hand. This exercise is so great for your whole body. Really think about keeping your abs tight and then work your hip flexibility by stepping your leg out wide. Again, 30 seconds with 15 seconds rest.
- Wide Mt. Climbers: Keeping that hip flexibility in mind do your mt. climbers with your legs stepping out wide. 30 seconds on and 15 seconds rest.
- Full Sit-ups: Back on your back with your hands behind your head if possible and perform full, quick sit-ups for 30 seconds. Of course if you can’t quite get up all the way with your hands behind your head you can extend them out in front of you.
That’s the workout! After you complete the whole workout try for another round or two. Enjoy that burn in your belly right now and a stronger core for days to come!! Until next time, cheers!! Jenny