Today we’re working the legs. It’s important when planning your leg workout to try and incorporate different angles. Working front side, back side, laterally, up and down and of course a little jumping in there too. There are about a million and one ways to work your legs and I’m just showing a handful to give you all some ideas to do at home if you can’t make it to the gym OR if you just want to add an extra calorie burn to your day. I didn’t show these exercises with weights but if you have some handy then by all means grab them. Often times, women especially, are afraid of using weights in fear of getting too big. It’s ok to use just your bodyweight but adding a little extra weight to the mix will shock your muscles into growing into a more efficient, calorie burning machine! You benefit both while doing the workout and for hours to come after the workout is complete. Really the name of the game is to change things up often and try a variety of weights and exercises. Our ultimate goal is to be capable of doing a variety of exercises and activities in life. The more we vary what we do the more likely we are to be well-rounded, abled bodies. So keep that in mind when it comes to strength training.
I digress, the workout for today is mostly a timed workout except for one exercise–the butt fly. I will explain all in further detail but plan on 30 seconds for each exercise as many rounds as possible.
- Lunges: either stepping forward or backward and really bending the back knee (my pet peeve when people don’t)
- Jump switch lunges: try to make these quick and explosive
- Squat walk forward and back with band: if you don’t have a band then just get in a squat and waddle forward and backward
- Tuck jumps: again as explosive as you can. Shock that metabolism!
- Lateral lunges: keeping one leg straight and bending the other knee
- Butt fly: here’s the lovely one. On your belly do 10 reps of straight legs coming up, in, open and lower followed by 20 heel squeezes up. The whole time focusing on what? The BUTT!
- Side step up: 30 seconds per side
- High knee run
That’s it! It’s a good one that you should feel right away and possibly tomorrow as well! Have fun until we meet again!